Tuesday 1 March 2011

OUR CULTURE OUR HERITAGE

a picture of my sister and the masquerades at the festival

I always enjoy going for my hometown festival Fetu Afahye in Cape Coast. it is one the most festive seasons for the people of Cape Coast. It is celebrated in the 2nd week of every month of September. i love going for this festival because all my relative will be there. those i like and those, not so much.lol the colourful kente worn be the chiefs and queenmothers as well as the melodious tunes of the african drums is just amazing. i have a feeling of nostalgia anytime i remember the times i went to the festival with family. i never miss the procession of the chiefs in their palanquins and the asafo people. my grandmother belongs to the benkum asafo company whose colour is red.

unfortunately ma grandma is too old to attend the festival, she stays at home in her regalia and sits outside to watch people going to take part in the procession. i particularly remember when i was a kid and could not see above everyone's head and my dad had to carry me on his shoulders. haaaaa[sigh] those were the good old days.

4 comments:

  1. aww this is so lovely. I've never been to a real fstival *sighs*
    lucky u :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here..LUCY!!!!! please invite me next time!!..i have only been to a few places since i arrived in GHANA :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @DIDI would definitely take u along next time. @kitkat not to worry,u can always dream about attending a real festival lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to It Lucy!! :)

    ReplyDelete